Request for Proposals: Website Design and Development with Content and Customer Relationship Management System Integration
Grantmakers for Effective Organizations (GEO) is planning a major website redesign with content and customer relationship management system integration in support of our organizational goals and meet our evolving needs. This Request for Proposals is to identify a vendor partner with the skills, experience and vision to support this effort.
Grantmakers for Effective Organizations is a community of funders committed to transforming philanthropic culture and practice by connecting members to the resources and relationships needed to support thriving nonprofits and communities. We envision courageous grantmakers working in service of nonprofits and communities to create a just, connected and inclusive society where we can all thrive. With more than 6,000 grantmakers who belong to philanthropic organizations of all sizes and types across the globe, we work to lift up the grantmaking practices that matter most to nonprofits and that truly improve philanthropic practice.
Since 1997, GEO has provided opportunities for grantmakers to come together to share knowledge and inspire each other to act. We recognize that being in community with other grantmakers, learning alongside our peers, is what helps us achieve the changes we want to make. Knowing better is not enough to do better — we know it takes more than knowledge to change. It takes intentional attention to culture, change management and learning alongside others.
Working with our members, we design conferences focused on exploring the latest challenges, foster peer connections and learning through member networks, and craft publications that frame key issues and highlight examples from across the field. Through these means, GEO creates the forum for grantmakers to hear from and absorb actionable information and insights from experts across the philanthropic and nonprofit sectors. Together, we are learning more about what works and applying our knowledge and resources to improve our communities.
We are seeking an experienced website design and development partner to work with on an open-source content management system that has plug-in architecture and template systems that we can build onto and evolve with. Through our new website, we hope to continue to be a center for online information and resources for our members, prospective members, staff and other stakeholders that provides a solution for GEO staff to easily manage updates and changes, to increase the functionality and interaction with relational databases, to allow registration through our website with payment through a third-party service, and to create a visually appealing and effective web presence for the organization.
GEO will be accepting proposals through Friday, August 27 with the target deadline for completion of April 2022.
- A clean and engaging design for website.
- Ensure a responsive solution for visitors using mobile and tablet devices.
- Update our content map to ensure logical and user-friendly page navigation.
- Make a recommendation for an open-source Content Management System that allows staff to make updates to webpages.
- Solutions for Google Analytics/AdWords, Search Engine Optimization, and Access for persons with disabilities (inclusive of ADA compliance and beyond).
- Request for Proposal section to list and manage incoming proposals for conference sessions and other organizational support.
- Provide solution for security and software updating and ongoing maintenance requirements.
- Initial Training solution on Content Management System for GEO staff in a shar.
- Provide a website hosting solution or recommendation for hosting.
- A robust back-end media library to house and categorize images, documents and PDFs.
- Provide guidance on integration with our existing Salesforce database that allows for the following:
- A password-protected, member log-in area of the site that stratifies access to certain materials.
- E-commerce that allows users to register and pay for events at stratified levels (i.e. – member vs. non-member registration), auto-confirmation, automated renewals, currently directed to a third-party payment system.
- A member tracking and engagement tracking options.
- The ability to track online applications and/or registrations for peer learning programs and multi-date events.
- Calendar of events listing.
- Social media platform integration that will include a Twitter feed and links to Facebook and LinkedIn on the homepage. a. This should include the ability to social share content from various parts of the website.
- Engage in a discovery process to refine the project requirements and scope.
- Provide technical guidance on information architecture and site designs.
- Facilitate quality assurance testing throughout the development process with the GEO team and a cohort of GEO members.
July 2021 – April 2022
- Friday, July 30 – Release of RFP
- Friday, August 27 – Proposals due
- Week of September 6 – Interviews with finalists
- Week of September 20 – Vendor selected; others notified
- Week of September 27 – Project kickoff
- April 2022 – Website launch
If you are interested in submitting a proposal to GEO, please include the following information:
- Name, address and contact information for the firm/consultant with key person(s) taking the lead on the project.
- Previous website design experience, including work with membership associations, foundations, or nonprofits.
- Please include a list of previous clients and the names of three references.
- Please also include links to work examples, including descriptions of your role for each example (online portfolios are sufficient.)
- Your Approach/Process in working with GEO staff and members to undertake the design of the new website; please also identify the software platform you would use to build and maintain the site.
- Key questions you would ask GEO to answer/consider in undertaking this work.
- A proposed timeline for the project with a description of your availability to complete the project.
- A proposed budget for the project and for any ongoing technical support for the site including a description of your pricing model and breakdown of your fees by role.
Please also address the following questions:
- Does your firm have experience and comfort working with an organization that centers racial equity?
- What type of team would be assigned to this project?
- What percentage of your team would be assigned to this project?
- Do you subcontract? If so, why?
- Are there any anticipated mergers, acquisitions or significant staff changes pending?
- What is the estimated total cost/cost range associated with projects like this?
- Please describe your approach and capacity to train and provide ongoing support for this project once the website is launched.
- Please describe your approach to communicating with clients and responding to requests during and after the development process.
As you develop your proposal, we are available to provide additional information and answer questions. Please reach out to Director of Communications and Marketing, Michelle Harrington at email@example.com.
- Demonstrated commitment to exceptional customer service and responding to client requests in a timely fashion.
- Experience working with organizations like GEO such as organizations that center equity, philanthropy serving organizations, membership associations, foundations and/or nonprofits.
- Price that is commensurate with the value offered by the firm and ability to work within a budget.
- Potential for a long-term partnership; not just a one-time engagement.
- Candidate has successfully completed similar projects and has the qualifications necessary to undertake this project.
- Vendor takes a holistic approach to an organization’s web development needs.
- Responses are presented in a clear, organized, and logical manner.
Sign up for a preview
A limited selection of GEO publications are available to the public. You can access these resources by filling out the form below.
GEO members can save time and access all GEO publications plus hundreds of philanthropy related resources by logging in to their member accounts. If this is your first time visiting the GEO site, you will need to register for your member access account.